Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Snakes on a Plane - for Networkers!!!

Guest Post by David Williams:

Ok, let’s be honest.

We’re all networkers here, so, can we talk?

Okay?

This is not for the prospects, what I’m going to write about is not training. 

It’s dishing. 

It’s just water cooler talk among us MLMer’s, Okay?

Alright, have you ever pitched someone you knew, or perhaps a friend of a
friend, who was just one of ‘those’?

One of those people who just pick apart every little thing about everything
you covered in your presentation?

If your company has been around for a while, they say your program is ‘past it’.

If your company is sort of new, they say ‘it might not make it’.

Regarding your product, no matter what it is, you will be asked ‘is it the
VERY BEST – of its class – ever made, I only use the very best of anything.’

Yeah right, and he drives a Rolls. 

Your pay plan: ‘You don’t pay enough’

‘You pay too much, it’s a scam’

‘I don’t like your brochure’

‘Those Powerpoints, they have such a boring color’

‘Your founder is bald!’

‘I don’t like the way that capsule looks’

‘This drink, does it come in cola?’

‘This plastic bottle, is it fair trade certified?’

I can go on and on, but I don’t have to, because you have been asked
these or worse.

There is a lesson here actually.

And there is something funny too.

That’s where the Snakes on a Plane come in.

But Snakes after the lesson.

The lesson is short.

Newbie calls her upline:

‘I’m here with a prospect, could you answer a question for us, I’ll put
you on speaker phone…’

‘Sure’ you say.

‘Bob, I’ve just shown Dick the presentation, and he was wondering if
our distributor kits were made from recycled paper?’

‘Dick, if I can show you that our kits are made from recycled paper,
are you prepared to get involved?’

‘Oh no, I was just wondering, I’m not the kind who is into bugging
people.  I would never join anything like this.’

Now, I’m tempted to say:

‘Our kits are made from plastic, which will last for 50,000 years! 
All of our forms are printed on virgin paper, from wood clear-cut from
the Brazilian rain forest, and we use a printer in Mexico, to avoid
paying high wages.’

Of course I can’t, because it’s only what I might be tempted to say.

So, my eyes roll back in my head, I say ‘Dick, thanks for taking the
time to listen to Mary.  Even if you are not interested, you may know
someone who is in a networking company, if so, could you give Mary
that info, otherwise, it was really good to meet you.  You both take
care now.’

Somebody like that, I don’t even waste my time trying to engage
them with the product.

I know what you’re thinking, ‘but you never know…’ well, Mary will
ask Dick anyway, but I know.

What I know is this:

People look for a reason to join or an excuse to say no.

And their excuses to say ‘no’ are often wacked, crazy dumb things –
and they say them because they just don’t want to get involved and
don’t know how to say that.

But the poor newbie takes their excuses seriously.

‘Golly, I lost a distributor because our kits were printed in Mexico.’

No, you never had a distributor to begin with, you had a no. 

Now move on.

What about Snakes on a Plane?

Ok, so here’s the deal on Snakes on a Plane.

You may remember this was a movie, back in 2006.

The story I heard, was this:

When an actor was not working, but didn’t want to say so, he’d say he
was reading a script called, Snakes on a Plane.

It became an in-joke in Hollywood.

Because the idea is so stupid and title gives away the whole plot.

You can’t say ‘er, what’s it about?’

It’s just about snakes on a plane. 

Well, the joke became real when someone decided to make the movie.

It was life imitating art, or in this case, art imitating a joke.

Well, networkers now have their own ‘Snakes on a Plane’.

Years ago, a few of my buddies were talking about people who ‘needed’
some kind of method to make money, and could have done well in
networking, but would not even consider it.

These were warm market friends, who would always say ‘no’.

They had no life plan for success, and said no to networking for a variety
of reasons, but it was really ego.

They figured that as smart people with a good background, something
would just ‘turn up’.

They had a big opinion of themselves and MLM was beneath them. 

Years later:

They’re still broke, or living paycheck to paycheck.

A group of us were joking about book titles we would give them as an
alternative to work:

The Magic of Wishing Big
Wish and Grow Rich
The Science of Wishing

It was kind of our fantasy of saying to them ‘here, if you don’t want to
work hard to succeed, because you are too good or too important,
try this…’

So now someone has done it.

There is a new book called The Law of Wishing.

http://www.amazon.com/Law-Wishing-Wish-Craft-Attraction-Determine/dp/1495288781
Here is the link if you don’t believe me.

Not that you would really send anyone this link, who turned you down,
but you could think about it as you drive home from a presentation,
or hang up the phone.

You know what I mean.

A friend would tell me, as he backed out of the drive-way of some
family like that who had turned him down with a dumb reason. 

He’d roll down his car window, and yell out to the family as they
watched him leave, ‘I lied, that’s the ugliest baby I ever saw’.

I’m sure his was kidding.

There are uglier babies.

So, that’s today’s message.

If you are new, don’t listen to their excuse to say ‘no’.

It’s not real. 

It’s just their excuse to say no.

And for fun, you can send them a link, offering them something
better, ‘The Law of Wishing’.

Have fun, don’t stop prospecting, and lead from the front!




Or you can get some really good books to make your recruiting come alive:

http://www.amazon.com/David-Williams/e/B00CMQVP9U

No comments:

Post a Comment